Updated: Jul 30, 2021
This post is about Marie Mongan's HypnoBirthing education. There are several Hypnobirthing classes out there on offer. I cannot comment on the effectiveness of their programs and compare them wholely.
In a paragraph
Hypnobirthing is a method of calm, instinctive birthing based on the fact that birthing is a natural healthy process for a healthy mother in the absence of true medical problems. Hypnobirthing classes prepares a couple with evidence based education, breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, self-hypnosis, visualisation and affirmations.
These tools are used during birth after weeks for diligent practice and yields amazing results.
Why does it matter to a baby how he or she is born?
We have learnt from Dr Bruce Lipton that we are (or expressed by) what our environments triggered in our cells. A baby’s environment is his mother and nutrition is not the only information the baby is receiving from his mother. There is information in the blood, in the sounds, in the moods of his mother that triggers the necessary cell expressions for survival out there on earth side. When we are calm and trusting during labour, our babies are born knowing that this world is an amazing place to explore – not one to be afraid of. Isn’t that a gift?
We also know now that babies are active participants in birth. They are wise. During birth, the mother and baby work with the body to navigate the entrance into the world. Medical interventions like epidural or inductions interfere with the biochemical process that birth is. Interventions are there to assist but not if they are given routinely or without medical indication. HypnoBirthing increases your chances (and confidence) of the best birth experience for your baby and you.
Why HypnoBirthing - The Mongan Method? Are all HypnoBirthing classes the same?
The Orginal It was established first. Since then, a team of birth workers and birth experts have added to the curriculum with updated evidence based information.
5 classes We give you 5, not 4, carefully crafted classes for a proper immersion into the methods to boost your abilities and confidence when the big day comes. While it is possible in certain cases to condense the classes, your best chance at a great birth is time, practice and the ability to digest it all. I have had time poor students who said ‘5 classes is needed.’ It truly is, and it is worth every minute of it.
Consistency All educators are required to keep updated and keep the classes consistent, so you know you are always going to have a high quality birth education just because there is a body who are keeping us in check.
Fear release Listening to a track can help you relax but the gift of mongan method's fear release facilitates the vanquish of subconscious fears from other births, other people's stories and even from other events in your life. You will leave feeling good.
You can do it on your own While we encourage the birthing family to be active in their birth, it does not require you to have a birthing partner. You will have the same tools on hand to help you birth easily and calmly. The same tools will be there for you if you choose to have an epidural or a c-section. You will leave class equipped. You will have the hypnosis recordings to play during labour (and preferably every night before!). You will have a guide booklet and Marie's easy to read Hypnobirthing textbook.
Your partner will be prepared Your partner will be armed with tools to deepen your relaxation and learn what to do in the labour room. He will be filled with information that will help him be the best advocate for your best birth ever.
Online classes and reading the textbook may be a great way to start but nothing can ever replace lessons face to face with a birth worker. Your questions will be answered and anecdotes are shared. The reality of a calm, doable natural birth can sink in deeper into your subconscious.
What you will learn - in a nutshell.
In addition to the following, each week contains wonderful visuals and relaxation practice.
- The history of women and birthing. In other words, why you are afraid.
- Why and how an easier, safer and calmer birth is achievable
- What really happens in your body during birth.
- How to maximise your body's birthing efforts
- How to change the fear narrative in your head- hint: language matters.
- Your baby is already aware so prenatal bonding matters. How to do so
- How to self-relax - rapidly and instantly. Essential for labouring.
- Hypnotic relaxation and visualisation
- Different breathing methods for different stages of labour.
- Different labour management styles. Know your caregiver.
- The birth companion's role in birthing. (Usually the husband in Singapore, otherwise another female.)
- How to prepare your body for birth.
- Your birth plan
- More preparation of your body for birth
- Massage for endorphins during labour
- How to get your body working for you during labour
- Natural methods of induction and how to avoid artificial induction
- Releasing negative emotions and limiting thoughts.
- Descriptions of the onset of labor and what to do
- Settling in at the hospital or birth centre
- Descriptions of what you might see or sense as time goes by during labour.
- If labour slows or rests... What to do.
- As labour advances, birthing your baby
- How to protect the natural birthing experience
- Birth rehearsal relaxation.
- Positions for baby's descent and birthing
- Breathing baby down
- Breastfeeding after birth
- Family bonding